Your Attitudes as Teachers Matter!

I just read the blog post by Denise Krebs, who is an inspiring teacher I am excited to be doing some collaborative things with this school year. Her post was about Angela Maiers TEDx talk in DesMoines (original post.) Denise talks about how Angela’s talk and ideas have inspired her to have a great school year and to challenge students to show their genius and be noticed.

Angela’s talk is very inspiring and I will be using some of the ideas she shared with my students this year as well.

I have also just been reading Twitter posts (tweets) by various individuals stating thoughts about the bias of research and the fallibility humans. I am constantly noticing the inequities in the world in regard to how children and people in general are treated by other people.

With all of this spinning in my mind and with the current political environment within Iowa, the United States, and the world as a whole, I have thought much about the significance of the role of educator.

I know that I am not perfect. I know that I will not be 100% on fire as an educator everyday, but it is in my power to be the best I can be. This holds true for all of us: educators, parents, community members, siblings, and humans.

I know that it is only through action that things change or evolve in the world of humans, students in this case. Thinking is great, contemplating is wonderful, research is helpful, but actions are what create reactions and real changes.

As educators/adults we harness a great deal of power to truly inspire young people to feel positive about education and themselves and to believe they have important contributions to make in the plight of humanity and this world. It is our job to help them to do things as global citizens to make the world a better place and to do so ourselves.

As Angela Maiers and others have been saying for some time, we need to give some of our control over to our students to see greater buy-in and engagement on their parts. Being positive mentors and trying to help young people feel significant on a daily basis is a huge step to creating truly healthy and empowered young citizens!

I am ready to start to move students upward and forward in their journeys to adulthood and I challenge all others to do the same thing by letting others know that they matter, are noticed, and have genius to offer to the world.

Join me and others in facilitating a positive and challenging learning environment for our young people to foster the greatness within them all!

Have a great school year so that your students may too!

Scott

3 thoughts on “Your Attitudes as Teachers Matter!

1. Here is my favorite takeaway from your post, Scott. “…we need to give some of our control over to our students to see greater buy-in and engagement on their parts. Being positive mentors and trying to help young people feel significant on a daily basis is a huge step to creating truly healthy and empowered young citizens!” I didn’t always know those things to be true.

We have been entrusted with such an amazing job, and in the last couple of years I have been on a new journey to help students discover their significance and genius. I am delighted to have connected with inspiring teachers like you and Angela!

Thanks for the mention in this post. I am so proud to be an Iowa educator!

Denise

• Thank you so much for your kind words Denise. You are very thoughtful and it is obvious that you truly care about the students in your classroom. I look forward to working with your class this fall.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Thank you so much for sharing this! I am so proud of Iowa educators like Denise. You have so much talent to share with one another, and every student benefits! #youmatter my friends!